I know these have been done a billion times, but I wanted to experiment with water drops...it's fun! Added food coloring for a few of them.
For Shishkabob (and anyone else who wants to take pictures like this):
- I used a square, aluminum cake pan which I filled with water (hence the lead grey color)
- I found an eyedropper
- I set my camera on a tripod and set it to shutter-priority mode, at the fastest setting (see my EXIF data for details)
- I manually focused on the point of a pencil exactly where I thought the drops would be
- Oh, I also used a Speedlite Flash on top of my Digital Rebel XT
- Then, I let 'er rip...my wife actually would drop the water and I would press the shutter, trying to sync up as much as possible to when the water drops hit
- Obviously, there was a lot of trial and error...focusing was extremely tricky...my wife had to hit the exact spot that I focused on or it was too blurry (see the red photo before this)
- I took 45 photos in order to get 4 that I was happy with...the four posted here.