201801_0064 Breda - Bouvigne Castle
The Bouvigne estate dates from the 15th century and comprises a fairy-tale castle encircled by three beautiful gardens and an orchard. The castle often changed hands and repeatedly belonged to the bailiffs of the Princes of Orange. After 1614 it was owned by eight princes; the Dutch State acquired the property in 1930.
The estate also houses a chapel, carriage house and Hof van Bouvigne (Bouvigne court), which today serves as the headquarters of Waterschap Brabantse Delta (which became the estate’s owner in 1972).