Newhaven Marine opened on 17 May 1886 as Newhaven Harbour (Boat Station) but was renamed on May 14th 1984. The single platform is numbered 3 (a follow on from the adjacent Harbour station) and is long enough to hold 12 coaches.
The station is technically open, as one train a day leaves for Lewes on a weekday evening. However, passengers are not allowed to use this train since August 2006 due to safety concerns concerning the state of the roof at the Marine station. When there is disruption on the Eastbourne line, or in the event of late running on the Seaford line the Marine station is used to terminate short & start back trains (albeit without passengers on!)
During January 2002 the Seaford branch line was closed and trains (at that time still being able to carry passengers) used the Marine station.