For the first time since I moved from Chicago, I planted some bushes around the house last fall. These in the front which heretofore had an unpleasantly barren look which I could easily ignore because I'm rarely in front anyway, that aspect facing away from the lake. This represents remarkable restraint from someone who spent countless hours renovating the landscapes of the previous houses I occupied. No matter how many trees, shrubs, groundcovers, etc. I put in, there was always room for one more. As in, "How in the world could I have missed that empty spot! I must get to the nursery immediately!" I'm sure many of you know the feeling.
In any event, I have always liked but never had hydrangeas. So waiting for the appropriate time (also known as end-of-the-season clearance sale), I put in three rather misshapen leftovers, wondered about them over the winter as they remained completely buried in snow for three months, happily saw them begin to leaf out in the spring, pruned them back fairly hard since this variety blooms on new growth, and have enjoyed almost two months of bloom, the flowers now gradually turning from pure white to a pleasing and increasingly pinkish hue.
While typically posting macros SOOC, I always had texturing in mind for these, striving for a suitably vintage feeling of an old-time favorite like hydrangeas. That was the goal, this the chosen result...out of several thousand alternatives...