Chanute Field, Rantoul, IL, July 1946
Chanute Field in peacetime. This photograph is one in a series of aerial photographs released of Chanute post World War II. In the upper left are the remaining hangers and barracks of the country's first air training school base built in 1917. Chanute trained thousands of air mechanics in World War II. In 1946, the field hosted 13,000 officers and men compared with it peak enrollment of 32,000 during the war. (AP Wirephoto from Army Air Forces).
From Box 534, folder: "Aerial views--1920s-1949"
All images are provided for personal and educational use. Users planning to reproduce/publish images in books, articles, exhibits, videos, electronic transmission or other media must request permission.
For more information please contact the Champaign County Historical Archives at The Urbana Free Library: urbanafreelibrary.org/local-history-genealogy/contact