new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Crystal Lake Park | by The Urbana Free Library Digital Collections
Back to photostream

Crystal Lake Park

1900: A dance hall and boat house overlooking the lake were built by Mr. Swartz. Until the new park headquarters at 901 North Broadway were built in 1965, this hall served as the park board, recreational and operational headquarters.

 

9/18/1973: Old dance hall destroyed: The dance hall was built into the side of the hill opposite the boat landing and near the site a senior citizens framed house that burned down in March of 1972. Flames reportedly reached 50 feet at times as the fire rapidly traveresed the wooden tope floor. The heat melted commodes, twisted pipes and scorched and blistered paint on the boat house across the street from the dance hall. The blaze was viewed with suspicion because the building had been vandalized less than 18 hours prior to the fire. The ancient building, one of the oldest in the district, was built about the turn of the century and served for many years as the district;s recreation center and dance hall.

 

“Urbana Park District: Crystal Lake Park: Boating” Photographs Envelope. Champaign County Historical Archives.

 

Part of CCHA's blog post: Boating at Crystal Lake Park

 

All images are provided for personal and educational use. Users planning to reproduce/publish images in books, articles, exhibits, videos, electronic transmission or other media must request permission.

 

For more information please contact the Champaign County Historical Archives at The Urbana Free Library: urbanafreelibrary.org/local-history-genealogy/contact

 

949 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on December 2, 2014