Lower Bargham farm barn
Barpham today consists of two farms (Upper Barpham and Lower Barpham) in the parish of Angmering some three miles to the north of Angmering village. The earlier name of the settlement there was Bargeham although even earlier it was recorded as Bercham (1121), Bergham (1233), Bargham (1240), and then Barffham (1582). There was once a manor there, a church, and a reasonably sized village although there is no record in the Domesday Survey. However, there has been much confusion between Bargeham/Barpham and Burpham a few miles to its west. 'Bercheham' is recorded in Domesday, but it has been taken to refer to Burpham. The name appears to originate from the Old English word 'beorg' which usually meant 'hill', and 'ham' meaning 'homestead'. or 'village'. A translation could therefore be 'village on the hill' which seems very appropriate to the location of Barpham today.
The remains of a medieval village lie just to the west of Lower Barpham Farm (Map Ref. TQ 071 092). The site is in a field, not readily discernable, and is under cultivation.