The church of Anloo is believed to be the oldest in the province of Drenthe. The one-aisled nave was built in ca. 1100 out of tuff and replaced a wooden church. The tower dates from ca. 1200 but was possibly built around an older core. Originally it was without stepped gables and spire; these were in 1893-1894. Both the nave and the tower are in Romanesque style. The long choir, which replaced the original apse in the 14th century, is in a simple Romanogothic style.