20160321_Cuba_5011 crop Trinidad sRGB
Old guy hanging out in old town (casco histórico), likely hoping for a tip from tourists taking his picture.
La Villa de la Santísima Trinidad (The Village of the Holy Trinity) was founded by conquistador Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar (1465-1524) in 1514. Most of the inhabitants left in 1518, however, to be mercenaries on a conquering expedition to México. A struggling rural backwater, Trinidad by the 17th century was a haven for pirates and smugglers engaging in illegal slave trade with British-controlled Jamaica. In the early 19th century, the town became the capital of the Departamento Centro. French refugees fleeing a slave rebellion in Haiti made sugar the region’s most important product. The Independence Wars at the end of the century devastated that industry which shifted to Cienfuegos and Matanzas provinces. President Batista rejuvenated the local economy in the 1950s by passing a preservation law recognizing the town’s historical value which made it a tourist destination.
Trinidad and the Valley de los Ingenios was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1988.
On Google Earth:
Trinidad 21°48'18.67"N, 79°59'4.42"W