20151006_Sarasota_0014 The Ringling
John Ringling’s bathroom in Ca' d'Zan has a bathtub carved from a single piece of marble, something he bragged about.
Ca' d'Zan, or “House of John” in the Venetian dialect, was the Venetian Gothic winter home built by John and Mable Ringling between 1924-1926 on the waterfront of Sarasota Bay. The five-story, 36,000-square-foot mansion with 41 rooms and 15 bathrooms cost $1.5 million (the equivalent to $20.9 million today). Despite the name, Mable was the guiding force in the design of the house, supervising even the smallest details. The architect was Dwight James Baum of New York.
John Ringling (1866-1936) was one of the five brothers who owned and operated the circus billed as “The Greatest Show on Earth.” In the Roaring Twenties he was one of the richest men in America. On his death, he bequeathed to the people of Florida his home and the museum he subsequently built for his collection of European art.
The Ringling, the State Art Museum of Florida, has been under the governance of Florida State University (FSU) since 2000.
On Google Earth:
Ca' d'Zan 27°22'58.68"N, 82°33'52.28"W