20140424_St Augustine_7342 Lighthouse
The front of the keepers’ house. Two lighthouse keepers and their families lived here in their own half of the house. The smaller buildings on either side are the kitchens which kept the heat and fire danger away from the main house. The keepers not only tended the lighthouse but also maintained signal buoys and channel markers and attempted to rescue shipwrecked sailors. The also served as tour guides for visitors, especially during the winter months. Wives and children over 12 were required to know how to run the station in the keepers’ absence.
The house was built in the 1870’s. Indoor plumbing and baths were installed in 1907 followed by screen windows and doors in 1912 and a telephone in 1914. Electricity arrived in 1925 (but the lighthouse itself was not electrified until 1936, the last Florida lighthouse to be converted).
On Google Earth:
St. Augustine Lighthouse 81°18'43.71"W, 81°17'18.43"W