The front of this 1920's building at 702 W. Holly St. in Bellingham is highly recognizable. The old brick structure, formerly most recognized as the home of Parberry Recycling, currently houses the Pacific Marine Gallery. But the eastern face of the building is not so well maintained. The dirt and decay on that side hint at the building's age and history.
The first floor originally housed the Jack & Jill Bakery, but the second floor was where the action was. It was called the U.S. Hotel, and it was a well-known place of prostitution. Although several places in the town were true brothels--dedicated exclusively to prostitution--the U.S. Hotel seems to have been one of those who had a mix of "legitimate" occupants as well as those who, well, needed a room only briefly.