Godfroy Reserves, Montpelier, Ind
The Godfroy Reserve was a track of land alloted to Chief Francois Godfroy, chief of the last of the American native tribe, the Miami Nation, by United States government treaty. It is located along the Salamonie River in Blackford County, Indiana. It was occupied as an Indian reservation between about 1814 and 1834, after which Chief Godfroy left because white neighbors repeatedly encroached upon the land.
The text of the marker reads:
Reserved by U.S. to Chief Francois Godfroy of the Miami Nation of Indians by treaty at St. Mary's, Ohio, 6 October 1818, 3, 840 acres on Salamonie River at La Petite Prairie, Harrison Township, Blackford County; reserve lands sold 1827, 1836.
The history of the Reserve and of Chief Godfroy is detailed in History of Jay County, Indiana: including its World War record.
Unsuccessful efforts were made in the 1960s to turn the reserve into a state park. Efforts were again made in the 2000s, but since it was the habitat of two plants, the frog orchid and the small purple-fringed orchid, on the Endangered Species List, the plans failed. The site once contained many Native American artifacts.