Andrew H. Chambers
Co. G, 16th KS. Cavalry
Portrait and Biological Record of Southeastern Kansas, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the Counties, Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States and The Governors of the State of Kansas. Chicago, Biographical Publishing Co. 1894.
Andrew H. Chambers, a leading citizen of Kansas since 1855, and for many years a representative general agriculturist, prosperously tilling a valuable farm located on section 31, Mound Township, Miami County, is a native of Pike County, Ind. and was born January 25, 1844. His father, born March 15, 1815, was likewise a native of Pike County, and was the son of John Chambers, who passed away near Petersburgh, having spent nearly all of his life within the borders of the state. Here he shared the privations and experiences of frontier days in the then wilderness of the territory, the scene of many terrible conflicts between the reedmen and the pioneer citizens. When the father of our subject was a boy, wild game was abundant within rifle range of the old homestead, and wagons were the only vehicles of travel crossing the broad prairies. The mother, Catherine (Grubb) Chambers, was born in North Carolina in March, 1816. Her parents, emigrating from North Carolina in a very early day, made their home in Pike County, Ind., where they later died. The father, Andrew B. Chambers, married his wife in Pike County in the year 1836, and the parents once locating upon a farm gained their living from the fertile soil of Indiana until 1855, when in the month of April they journeyed by wagon to Kansas, and in Osawatomie Township, three miles southwest of the village of Osawatomie, located a Government claim.
The hard-working and energetic father died January 8, 1858, and the devoted mother passed away February 16, 1875. The nine children who gathered in their home were Margaret, John, George, Andrew Henderson, Elizabeth, Rachael, Maria, Nathaniel and Susan. Margaret and Maria are now deceased. Our subject, accompanying his parents to Kansas, remained with his mother until twenty years of age assisting in the conduct of the farm. Upon the 1st of January, 1864, answering to the appeal of the Government, Andrew H. Chambers enlisted in Company G, Sixteenth Kansas Cavalry, and served with courage until December 16, 1865, when he was mustered out at Ft. Leavenworth. Our subject spent almost a year of service near Ft. Leavenworth and took part in the Price raids, and for almost nine months was on duty in the Black Hills country. Prior to his enlistment Mr. Chambers was in the employ of the Government as teamster and cook. When he was mustered out of service, our subject returned at once to his old home and engaged industriously in the pursuit of agriculture.
In Osawatomie Township, November 24, 1867, were united in marriage Andrew H. Chambers and Miss Sarah C. Veach, who was born in Ross County, Ohio, near Chillicothe, March 29, 1848. Her father, Harrison Veach, was a native of Virginia and was born near Petersburgh in November, 1816. Her mother, Matilda (Shafer) Veach, was likewise a native of Ross County, Ohio, and was born April 1, 1829.
The grandparents of Mrs. Chambers were among the pioneer settlers of Ross County, where the grandfather entered into rest while the mother was very young and left a large family with but extremely limited means of support. Mr. and Mrs. Veach were married in Ross County June 10, 1846. They remained for about two years in their early home then journeyed by boat to Iowa, locating in Van Buren County in 1848. In June, 1857, they removed to Kansas and settled upon a Government claim in Osawatomie Township, where the father died, lamented by all who knew him, February 15, 1879.
The five children of Mr. and Mrs. Veach were: Sarah C., Elmira, Winfield S., Annette and William R. Winfield S., a bright, promising young man, was drowned in the Indian Territory while herding cattle. Immediately after his marriage our subject settled on a farm in Osawatomie Township, and having purchased one hundred and sixty acres of wild land entered with energy into its cultivation and improvement. He remained upon this homestead until January, 1886, when he sold the property and invested in his present valuable farm in Mound Township, one hundred and twenty-one acres desirably located on section 31. The farm, now highly improved with excellent buildings, and annually yielding an abundant harvest, is one of the best in the township.
Our subject and his estimable wife have been blessed by the birth of four children: Ida M. resides in Boise City, Idaho; Irma B, is the wife of Harvey Ball, of Boise City, and was married December 1, 1892. William Scott and Clarence H., the two brothers, are intelligent youths attaining to manhood. Our subject is politically a reformer and advocates progress and needed changes for the better. Mr. and Mrs. Chambers are both liberal in their religious belief and are foremost in kindly words and generous deeds. In March, 1892, our subject rented his farm and spent six months in Idaho, but returned to his home fully satisfied with the outlook in Kansas. A man of superior ability, and recognized as a practical agriculturist thoroughly posted in the details of farming, Mr. Chambers enjoys the esteem and confidence of old-time friends and neighbors with whom he shared the perils of long ago and has since rejoiced in the prosperity of to-day.