P1060138.JPG St Augustine, City of London EC4
City of London
St Augustine with St Faith destroyed during the war of which only the tower survived, now incorporated in St Paul's Choir school
St Augustine, Watling Street was an Anglican church formerly located just to the east of St Paul's Cathedral in the City of London. It was destroyed in the Second World War but its remains now form part of St Paul's Cathedral Choir School.
Its foundation date is unknown, but it is first recorded circa 1148. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 but was rebuilt in the 1680s. Constructed in an austere style, the church (51ft. by 45ft.) was divided into a nave and six aisles by six Ionic columns upon which rested a barrel vault . The altar piece had Corinthian columns and the pulpit was of carved oak. Its distinctive tower was constructed in the 1690s – it is thought to have been designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor – and was heavily modified in 1830. The pulpit was modernised by Arthur Blomfield in 1878.
The entire church was destroyed in 1941. It was not rebuilt, but as part of the construction works for the new choir school (completed 1967) the tower was reconstructed along its original lines. It is physically incorporated into the concrete building of the choir school, creating a marked contrast between the Baroque tower and the modernist school building. Partial records exist and are available through IGI.