Halifax West Yorkshire 2nd September 2017
Compare and contrast the 19th & 20th century bridge architecture at North Bridge over the Hebble Valley.
In the foreground is the Victorian cast & wrought-iron North Bridge which spans the Hebble Valley. As well as the river Hebble extensive railway yards were once located in the valley and in fact the Halifax & Ovenden Railway jointly with Halifax Corporation financed the construction of North Bridge which was completed in 1871.
The expanse of level car parking below the bridge marks the location of the once extensive North Bridge railway goods yard. Until 1960 the former HOR North Bridge station was located through the bridge to the right. The yard remained open for coal traffic until 1974.
Burdock Way, the modern flyover system, was opened in 1973 to take the A58 and A629 traffic over the River Hebble & North Bridge remains in use for local traffic only.