new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Sonora Pass Historical Landmark | by thomas pix
Back to photostream

Sonora Pass Historical Landmark

Sign reads:

 

Historical Landmark Sonora Pass, Elevation 9,628

 

The idea of a wagon road through this pass connecting Tuolomne County with mining towns of Mono County was first called to attention by Andrew Fletcher in 1862. The original trail through Sonora Pass was opened for pack animals in September 1862. The trail passed over this divide, departed from teh route of the present highway one mile west climbed northwesterly through St. Mary's Pass, elev 10,040 ft, then down the canyon of the Clark Fork of the Stanislaus River. In 1863 the route was resurveyed and relocated from Sonora Pass down Deadman Creek and the Middle Fork of the Stanislaus River. The wagon road which established the general location of the present highway was completed thorugh this pass in 1865. Stanislaus National Forest

1,675 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on September 3, 2006