new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white

martinshundred-jonboys

JOHN BOYS SITE

"Research suggests that John Boys byuilt this palisade-protected house to cement the Society of Martin's Hundred's claim to the surrounding 20,000 acres. He chose the site to place the Society's only cannon in the best location to fire on invading Spanish ships, and to protect both the approach up the ravine to the high ground where Wolstenholme Towne would soon be built, and to control the fresh water that still flows down it."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Carter's Grove Plantation near Williamsburg, Va, is also the home to the Archaeological sites of "Martin's Hundred" and "Wolstenholme Towne." The Society of Martin's Hundred obtained a 21,500-acre tract of land from the Virginia Company, and in 1619 settlers began to arrive. They established many farmsteads, with Wolstenholme Towne, named for Sir John Wolstneholme, one of the Society's most influential shareholders, as the administrative center. Though as much as half of the Wolstenholme Towne may have been lost to erosion by the James River, the surviving portions have been excavated and partially reconstructed. The Winthrop Rockefeller Archaeology Museum at the Plantation houses many artifacts from the site.

1,618 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken in August 1995