Reign of Terror
When Gods House
Becomes an Abode of Terror
Than God has to delete the file
Rectify the error
children who come to study
Islamic Truth Brotherhood
Allah s name
in a Reign of Terror
photo courtesy Nd Tv..
Islamabad, July 3 (Xinhua) The chief cleric of the controversial Lal Masjid here Tuesday declared jihad after an exchange of fire between students and Pakistani security forces, Dawn News channel reported.
He also ordered Lal Masjid militants to launch attacks on forces.
Witnesses verified that Lal Masjid militants destroyed some posts set up by government security forces. Some government buildings were also under attack from the religious students.
At least three policemen were reported injured after Lal Masjid students exchanged fire with security forces.
Hundreds of students took to the street in protest, chanting pro-jihadi slogans. Security forces opened fire that triggered retaliations from the students.
Pakistan had Monday deployed more forces near the mosque to tighten security around it, Dawn newspaper reported Tuesday.
The move has brought the total number of Rangers deployed around the mosque to 1,500, with 500 police commandos in support.
The newspaper, quoting informed sources, said the authorities of the mosque have also reinforced security of its brigade, which is equipped with advanced weapons and wireless systems, and threatened to raid more massage centres in the city.
ISLAMABAD: Parents and close relatives of the students of Jamia Hafsa and Jamia Faridia on Wednesday criticised Lal Masjid chief cleric Maulana Abdul Aziz and his deputy Abdur Rashid Ghazi for endangering the lives of their children in the name of jihad.
Talking to Daily Times, the concerned parents said they would never allow their children to return to the madrassas run by Lal Masjid and opposed the two clerics’ declaration of jihad.
A large number of parents and relatives were seen waiting at Aabpara bus station on Wednesday to take their children back to their hometowns. They were asked to contact Aabpara police station to facilitate contact with their children.
Students started coming out of the madrassa by midday and they numbered over 800 by evening. The government facilitated their meeting with the parents and arranged buses and coaches to safely transport them to their respective homes.
Thirty-five buses had sent over 290 males and 82 female students home by evening. Officials said each student had been paid Rs 5,000, as announced by President Musharraf, adding that any students who had surrendered to the security forces were not arrested.
The students who surrendered were unsure of the exact number of students still in the mosque. One female student said the mosque administration was imparting training for jihad to the remaining students. However, she added that female students were not forced to participate in the training.
“We would never let anyone use our children for vested interests,” said a parent, adding that he would never allow his daughter to return to Jamia Hafsa. Another parent said the declaration of jihad by the mosque administration made no sense, while a female student’s brother said if anyone wanted to participate in jihad, they should join the people fighting in Kashmir.
Agencies add: A female student told Geo News that 6,500 to 7,000 female students were still in the madrassa.
Several parents termed the government action just and one Qari Liaquat Ali said the government should be praised for exercising restraint. He said the madrassa administration had not allowed him to retrieve his daughter before the operation.
A 17-year-old student, Raheela, said many female students were being forced to remain on premises and were being used as shields. “I came here for religious education but the brand of Islam propagated by the administration was horrendous,” she added.
Several students said they would never return to the madrassa, even if conditions return to normal. “Though jihad is good, we are not here to fight,” said Zabia, a young student from Jamia Hafsa.
A top-level government official, on condition of anonymity, told APP that male students were being detained for questioning before they were allowed to depart while female students were being released into their parents’ custody promptly.
Lal Masjid cleric in Pak military net
4 Jul 2007, 2310 hrs IST,PTI
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan military personnel surrounding the Lal Masjid here arrested Maulana Abdul Aziz, one of the two radical clerics of the mosque, when he tried to escape wearing a burqa on Wednesday, Dawnnews TV said.
Aziz, along with his younger brother Abdul Rashid Ghazi, was leading the militant students of the madrasas run by the Lal Masjid in their standoff with the government.
Chief Police Commissioner of Islamabad, Tariq Pervez, confirmed Aziz's arrest, saying that he was captured when he came out along with several burqa-clad women.
His identity was established during the screening, he told reporters here.
Aziz tried to sneak out in burqa when the troops guarding the area permitted 50 odd parents of students holed up in the mosque to go in to persuade their wards to surrender.
His arrest could perhaps help the government to end the stand-off as he could be effectively used to negotiate the surrender of the rest of the several hundred heavily armed militants headed by his brother Ghazi and holed up in the mosque.
Mosque leader foresees end of siege
Posted on Thu, Jul. 05, 2007print email Digg it del.icio.us AIM
Mosque leader foresees end of siege
By MUNIR AHMAD
Associated Press Writer
An image taken from the Pakistan Television shows on Thursday, July 5, 2007, the chief cleric of radical Lal mosque Maulana Abdul Aziz, who was arrested by police, Wednesday in Islamabad, Pakistan, removing his veil. The chief cleric of a radical mosque was arrested and more than 1,000 of his followers surrendered Wednesday as troops backed by armored vehicles and helicopters tightened their siege of the complex, officials said. Female police officers searching women fleeing the mosque's seminary discovered Maulana Abdul Aziz under a black head-to-toe veil, said Khalid Pervez, the city's top administrator.
A radical cleric arrested while fleeing his government-besieged mosque in a woman's burqa and high heels said Thursday that the nearly 1,000 followers still inside should flee or surrender.
The comments by Maulana Abdul Aziz raised hopes that the standoff could end without further bloodshed, but his brother remained inside the mosque with followers and said there was no reason to surrender.
Gunfire erupted repeatedly around the Red Mosque, or Lal Masjid Aziz, but no large-scale fighting was reported. Four helicopters hovered over the area, from which journalists were barred.
At least 16 people, including eight militants, have been killed and scores injured in the standoff between Pakistan's U.S.-backed government and Aziz, who has challenged President Gen. Pervez Musharraf with a drive to impose Taliban-style Islamic law in the city.
The bloodshed in the heart of the capital has added to a sense of crisis in Pakistan, where Musharraf faces emboldened militants near the Afghan border and a pro-democracy movement triggered by his botched attempt to fire the country's chief justice.
Aziz's brother, Abdul Rashid Ghazi, remains inside the mosque and an Interior Ministry official estimated that the cleric had about 30 diehard supporters with him. Intelligence officials said there could be as many as 100.
The official, Javed Iqbal Cheema, said Ghazi was using women and children as "human shields," something which Ghazi denied in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.
"Why should we surrender? We are not criminals. How can we force those out who don't want to leave?" Ghazi, the mosque's deputy leader, said by telephone.
Deputy Information Minister Tariq Azim said some of the more than 1,100 supporters who had fled the mosque and an adjoining girls' madrassa told them that Ghazi had retreated to a cellar along with 20 female "hostages" and that the holdouts had "large quantities of automatic weapons."
Azim said there would be no more negotiations with Ghazi.
"Enough time has already been wasted. It has to be total, unconditional surrender," he said.
Still, he said security forces were holding back from storming the complex to avoid civilian casualties.
"As long as there are women and children inside, I don't think that we will go in," he said.
Aziz was nabbed Wednesday evening after a female police officer checking women fleeing the mosque tried to search his body, which was concealed by a full-length black burqa. Azim, the deputy information minister, said the cleric had also been wearing high-heeled shoes.
In an interview with state-run Pakistan Television after his arrest, the gray-bearded Aziz, still dressed in a burqa, appeared calm as he said his mosque has "a relationship of love and affection with all jihadist organizations" but no actual links with them.
"We have no militants, we only had students. If somebody came from outside, I have no information on that," said Aziz, despite past vows to launch suicide attacks if authorities attack the mosque.
Security forces were sent to the mosque after the kidnapping of six Chinese women alleged to be prostitutes, a brief abduction that drew a protest from Beijing and proved to be the last straw in a string of provocations by the mosque stretching back six months.
Militant students streamed out of the mosque to confront the government forces, leading to a daylong battle on Tuesday.
On Wednesday, the Pakistani army surrounded the mosque, determined to end the actions by the clerics and students.
Aziz said that as many as 700 women and about 250 men remained inside the mosque compound and an adjacent women's seminary, some armed with more than a dozen AK-47 assault rifles provided by "friends."
Associated Press reporters Sadaqat Jan, Zarar Khan and Stephen Graham in Islamabad contributed to this report.
july 10 2007
Pakistani forces storm besieged Red Mosque
Pakistani forces have stormed Islamabad's Red Mosque after talks to end a week-long stand-off with radical militants holed up inside broke down. The assault took place in the early hours of the morning. Dozens of militants and several soldiers have reportedly been killed, but it is reported some 20 children were rescued. Sporadic fire rang out over the capital and thick smoke was seen rising from the compound which also houses a religious school and a library.
An unknown number of women and children were believed to be held inside, to be used as human shields. The Red Mosque has been a centre for militancy for years and in recent months was used as a stronghold by radical students who wanted to install Sharia law in the city.
On Monday, at the behest of President Pervez Musharraf, a delegation of Muslim scholars had gathered outside the mosque and attempted to discuss with the militants by loudspeaker, but to no avail. "We have done everything which was possible on the end of the government," said Pakistani Information minister Mohammed Ali Durrani. "And we are really disappointed by the behaviour on the other end."
The radical cleric Abdul Rashid Ghazi who is leading the opposition movement said no one was being held against their will. He and his fighters were ordered to surrender or die.
Up to 50 dead as Pakistanis storm mosque
Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:10AM BST
ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistani forces stormed a mosque compound in the capital on Tuesday, killing up to 50 militants as they fought their way through an Islamic school where women and children were feared to be hiding.
While militants mounted a last stand in the basements of the madrasa, commandos had yet to encounter any women and children, with more than two-thirds of the complex cleared.
However, military spokesman Major-General Waheed Arshad said rebel cleric Abdul Rashid Ghazi was barricaded in a basement, using women and children as human shields.
Three soldiers were killed and many more people wounded, while 50 militants were arrested, Arshad said.
But he said these were initial casualty reports and the assault to end a week-long standoff at Lal Masjid, or Red Mosque, was still in progress eight hours after it began.
Women and children were feared to be in areas of the compound security forces had still to clear.
"They have yet to be encountered." Arshad said.
Nearly 30 loud blasts rocked the heart of Islamabad for an hour beginning at around 9.30 a.m. (0430 GMT). There was no sound of gunfire
40 militants killed in Lal Masjid attack
10 Jul 2007, 0950 hrs IST,PTI
ISLAMABAD: Pakistani troops stormed the Lal Masjid complex in the capital early Tuesday morning after talks with radicals to end the week-long standoff broke down, triggering a heavy gunbattle, which left 40 militants and three security personnel dead.
Heavy gunfire erupted and loud blasts were heard as Operation Silence was launched at 4 am with commandos surrounding the mosque, where militants are believed to be holding 150 hostages, from three sides.
Twenty children escaped as the operation started and were taken in the care of security forces. Fierce fighting raged at the religious school and library in the compound where hundreds of women and children were believed to be present.
Deputy Administrator of the Masjid Abdul Rashid Ghazi and his supporters are believed to have taken shelter in the bunkers built in the basement of the mosque are putting up a stiff resistance, Defence Ministry Spokesman Maj. Gen. Waheed Arshad told reporters.
"The militants are using small arms and grenades. They are in the basement," he said adding "we are facing resistance from the basement. Such an operation could take three or four hours".
"According to my information part of the mosque has been cleared but heavy fighting was on in madrassa," he said.
The militants are believed to be armed with machine guns, rocket launchers, hand grenades and petrol bombs.
Arshad said three security force personnel and 40 militants have so far been killed in the operation.
As the explosion began rocking the besieged mosque complex, Ghazi spoke briefly to TV channels and blamed the government for the failure.
Ghazi said he was ready to leave as suggested by the government but at the same time insisted that clerics and media should visit the mosque complex to prove his claim that no foreign militants or heavy weapons were there.
"It is the final push to clear the mosque of armed militants," Arshad said.
He said he has no information about the claim of Ghazi that his mother has been killed.
Asking the residents of the capital not to come out or go onto their terraces, he said they could be hit by shrapnel and stray bullets.
He said estimates are that about 200 to 300 militants were holed up in the complex and the troops hope to finish it as early as possible.
Emergency has been declared in all the hospitals in Islamabad and nearby Rawalpindi and doctors and other medical staff were kept on stand by before the operation began.
The operation was launched as soon as ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Q (PML-Q) President Shujaat Hussain in a brief nationally televised press conference said talks to find out a peaceful solution to the stand-off had failed.
Hussain said he was never disappointed so much in life as an agreement could not be reached even after the government showed maximum flexibility.