new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Remains of Naillac's Tower and Mediterranean sea | by Jorge Lascar
Back to photostream

Remains of Naillac's Tower and Mediterranean sea

It was built between 1396 and 1421 by the Grand Master Philibert de Naillac before the development of the cannons on the mole east of the Gate of Saint Paul that closes the commercial harbour. It had a square shape like many other medieval towers and was 46 m (145 ft.) high. It was the terminal of the wall belt facing the harbour and was used as a watch tower. It was severely damaged during the earthquakes of 19th century and was demolished by the Ottoman administration [Wikipedia.org]

726 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on September 2, 2012