Former Springvale Traction Substation
Constructed for the electrification of the Dandenong Line in 1922, this supplied power to the line along with the Caulfield substation. Rotary rectifiers were housed in the building fed by 22kV AC 25Hz specially generated at Newport.
The AC supply was fed along the rail line between Caulfield and Springvale overhead, hence the original overhead structures along this section of line have upper extensions on them.
In 1954 and 1955 new smaller substations were built at Noble Park, Westall respectively, a replacement at Caulfield in 1956 and one at Oakleigh in 1957 using mercury arc rectifiers fed by standard 50Hz AC. Springvale was decommissioned and the building was used as an engineering firm for many years. Behind is a new substation built immediately adjacent as part of works for the Westall station upgrade.