House on Corner: notorious former KGB building in Riga, Latvia. May 9, 2008
The building, built in 1912 originally as tenement house with stores. Nowadays notoriously known as the "House on the Corner", a satellite of Moscow's notorious Lubyanka prison, has been recently vacated by Latvian state police and there's a campaign for it to become a place of remembrance for those who suffered during 50 years of Soviet occupation. It originally housed shops and apartments before being taken over by the prewar Latvian Interior Ministry. The Soviet secret police moved into the building – at the corner of what were then Lenin and Friedrich Engels streets. – in 1940 after Soviet dictator Josef Stalin forcibly incorporated Latvia into the Soviet Union. "The year of terror" followed with mass deportations to Siberia and, in the House on the Corner, interrogations on the sixth floor and shootings in the basement.