3d pan white

Hot & Cold

Radnické schody is a stairway in Hradčany, connecting Nerudova street below with Loretánská street above. The name means The Town Hall Stairway and it's derived from the former town hall of Hradčany (before merging the four towns of prague into a single city). The stairway is approximately 100 metres long and 127 steps and a height of 30 metres.


It is quite a pictoresque nook, because the stairway winds between old buildings and is even bridged over by one. At the lower end of the stairway there are statues of Saint Joseph with baby Jesus and Saint John of Nepomuk.


It's in fact a street, accessible only for pedestrians due to the steps. Radnické schody were built in 1663 to replace former steep road. The place was sometimes called also "Butchers' Hill" or "Meat shops hill" because there were several butcheries on the stairway.


Today, instead of butcheries, you'll find a pleasant café there.

350 faves
Taken on December 3, 2011