Despot - Slavova Fortress
"Despot - Slavova Fortress"
It is a small fortification - the oldest and the most solid military facility in the town, constituting a powerful independent fortress with 2-3.50m thick walls and towers. Impressive ruins are left standing until nowadays, at certain places up to 8-10m high. The monument has been partially restored after its field archaelogical exploration. The architectural analysis and the archaeological finds, juxtaposed to the historical events, reveal four periods of construction of the small fortification: one early Byzantine, two Medieval and a fourth period, assosiated with despot Alexiy Slav /1208-1230/ whereto the bigger part of the ruins, preserved until nowadays, date back. It is a monument of culture of national significance.