Borgward Isabella TS Coupé 1959 (5272)
Manufacturer: Carl FW Borgward GmbH in Bremen-Sebaldsbrück (Germany)
Type: Isabella TS Coupé
Engine: 1493cc straight-4
Power: 85 bhp
Speed: 148 km/h
Production time: 1957 - 1961
Production outlet: 9,537
Curb weight: 1075 kg
- Responding to a sales decline of almost a third in 1955 and 1956, Carl Borgward decided to produce a more beautiful Isabella with a shortened roof line, now called the Isabella TS Coupé.
- Four hand built prototypes were well received by the press.
- Borgward gave one of these prototypes to his wife, Elisabeth, who would continue to drive it into the 1980s.
- The production cars become the more powerful TS engine with a Solex 32 PAITA carburettor.
- On request, the coupe was available with (in that time) the popular tail fins included therein, compared to the series model, larger tail lights.
- Because Borgward suddenly came into financial trouble (1961), production stopped in that year. The production was sold to the Fabrica Nacional de Automoviles SA Monterrey (Mexico). They produced from 1967 until its bankruptcy in 1970 the Borgward P100, called in Mexico the Borgward 230.