Brisbane. Dining room or breakfast room of historic Newstead House built from 1845. This is a late 19th century room.
Brisbane. Newstead House.
Scottish born Patrick Leslie the pioneer pastoralist of the Darling Downs near Warwick bought 34 acres of land along the Brisbane River in 1845 where the Breakfast Creek flows into it. Patrick Leslie used the exploration dairies of Allan Cunningham from 1827 to locate suitable pastoral sites. The Leslie brothers took up their first Darling Downs runs in 1840 and they erected the first buildings on their Canning Downs run in 1844. They also selected a site on the banks of the Condamine River (which eventually flows into the Darling River) for a fine homestead. But they selected another site on their Canning Downs for the homestead and sold their Glengallan leasehold on the Condamine River to others within a few years. Meanwhile back in Brisbane Patrick Leslie had a simple two storey brick cottage built on the Breakfast Creeks site and he and his family moved into the residence in 1846. It was probably built by assigned convict labour. Four months later the family left Newstead House and moved to their station property on the Darling Downs at Canning Downs. In 1847 Patrick Leslie sold the two storey cottage to his brother-in-law Captain John Wickham. Wickham had arrived in Brisbane in 1843 as the Police Magistrate for the Moreton Bay settlement. In 1854 Captain Wickham was appointed Resident of Moreton Bay and Newstead House became the unofficial government house of the settlement. When Queensland was created as a separate colony on 1859 Wickham and his family left Newstead and returned to England. Newstead house was sold by them in 1862 but Wickham held the mortgage over the property. A successful merchant John Harris and his family moved into the house and when he finally paid for the house in 1864 he made plans for a much bigger and grander house. Extensions began in 1865 and were completed in 1867 by which time Newstead House had become a grand mansion with an encircling veranda to take advantage of the subtropical climate of Brisbane and the Brisbane River views. The original 1846 cottage became the basement rooms of the new Newstead House. Harris sold Newstead House in 1876 as a fine mansion but continued leasing it as his residence until 1890. During his leasehold the owner subdivided the estate in 1878, in 1888 and again in 1890 creating the suburb of Newstead and leaving the mansion with about four acres of gardens. After numerous owners the Brisbane City Council purchased the house in 1918. An Act of Parliament created the Newstead House Trust in 1939 to manage the house and property and to ensure it opens to the public.