Maryborough. The former Australian Joint Stock Bank erected 1882. Author of Mary Poppins P L Travers was born inside in 1899. Soon to become an interpretive centre on Travers.
Wharf Street Maryborough and its museums and the Kanaka memorial.
1. Brennan and Geraghty’s Store. Irishmen Patrick Brennan and Martin Geraghty arrived in Maryborough in 1862. He established a carpentry shop and undertaker’s business on the museum site. He soon married Catherine Brennan. Her brother opened a store two doors along the street in 1869 before opening a new store with his brother-in-law Geraghty in 1871. That store is now the museum and it was used as a trading store by a son of Martin Geraghty until 1972. The store had all its business records of goods imported from around the world, old grocery stock from the 1920s and later and the original shop fittings. The National Trust bought the property in 1975 and open it as a “living” museum. Open daily 10 am to 3 pm. Located at 64 Lennox Street.
2. The Bond Store Museum is located in Wharf Street. This is one of the oldest buildings in Maryborough and was built in brick in 1863 to a design by the QLD colonial Architect Charles Tiffin. As it housed mainly imported goods (alcohol etc) waiting for valuation it was located next to the Customs House which was built in 1861 when Maryborough was declared an international port. The Bond Store was enlarged greatly in 1870 when an entrance on Wharf Street was created and part of it made two storey. It was enlarged again in 1883 with another two storey wing which made it an L shaped building. The museum covers shipping and industrial history of Maryborough.
3. The Customs House and Customs House residence museum. This museum located beside the Bond store concentrates on the story of the city of Maryborough. The original Customs house was built in 1861 but it was replaced with a more modern building Edwardian style brick and terracotta roof building in 1899. The Customs master’s house was also rebuilt at the same time and both buildings cost nearly £6,000. It was returned to the City of Maryborough from the Commonwealth government in 1995.
4. The Military and Colonial Museum at 106 Wharf Street. This museum is privately owned and operated in J E Brown warehouse built in 1879. It is sometimes known as the Gataker warehouse. It is a fine two storey structure showing the Brown’s warehouse was established in 1857. The museum has the most Victoria Cross medals in any private museum in Australia and it has the only Cross of Valour medal on public display from the 2002 Bali bombings. The Kent Street part of this building was built in 1868. It also contains a Cobb and Co replica coach and a three wheeler Girling car made in England around 1911.It contains a Gallipoli room and a Second World War room etc, trench art displays, paintings, silver, china, buggies etc. Entry fee about $10.
At the top of Wharf Street is the Maryborough is St Mary’s Catholic Church. The complex includes a convent which was built in 1892. The church was designed by architect Francis Stanley and built between 1869 and 1872. It was enlarged in 1885 and again in 1936. It is heritage listed.
a. At top of Wharf Street is the impassive colonial towered Post office. Built in 1866. The clock tower added 1879.
b. The Post Office Hotel. Built in 1889. The original one storey was built in 1870. The land title was granted in 1852.
c. The Government Office Building was built in neo Georgian style and erected in 1940. It is not as old as it looks.
d. The Heritage Centre was built as a Bank of New South Wales in 1878. Built with surrounding verandas. It handled lots of gold from the Gympie gold rush.
e. The Customs House Museum.
f. At the end of Richmond St is the Maryborough Kanaka Memorial. It provides information and symbols of the Kanakas on black marble boulders from the Chillagoe region of north western QLD. The symbols from New Caledonia, the Solomon Island and Vanuatu were cast in bronze and selected by the Daralata South Sea Islanders.
g. Maryborough Courthouse. Built in 1877. Architect was the Colonial Architect Francis Stanley. It replaced an earlier 1860 courthouse which was demolished. It is an unusual building with tower like rooms on the corners and a large triangular pediment and gable and the two ends. It cost nearly £7,500 when built.
h. The Customs House Hotel. It was built in 1868 and extended during the gold rushes in 1870 and again 1883. Note its fine cast iron lace work.
i. The Colonial and Military Museum 1879.
j. The Bond Store Museum.
k. The Criterion Hotel. It was built by the Cooper brothers between 1878 and 1883. It is now on the QLD heritage register. One of only two three storey brick buildings in Maryborough. The timber framed Melbourne Hotel of 1868 on this site burnt down in 1877.
l. Queens Park. It was gazetted as a park and botanic garden in 1873. The historic band stand was exhibited at the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1888 and then shipped to Maryborough and erected in 1890 as a memorial to Andrew Melville, a newspaper man and former mayor. The park contains the 1922 War Memorial, a life-sized, bronze statue of Lieutenant Duncan Chapman, a fountain, a fernery.
m. Riverside Apartments. This Queenslander style building overlooking the Mary River was built as a boarding house in 1891.
n. The quaint unmarked wooden building is the Maryborough waterside Workers building. Built in 1918 during the big international waterside workers strike.
o. At the end of Wharf St on the river level is where Walkers built ships.
Walkers of Maryborough.
The Union Foundry was established in 1868 by John Walker. It was a branch of the Union Foundry of Ballarat. The foundry supplied materials and engineering items for the mining industry and the equipment for the sugar mills in the district. The gold mines at Gympie (1867) and the Maryborough Sugar Company (which was formed in 1865) were major clients. John Walker was joined by Mr W Harrington in 1872 and the firm was expanded and floated as a public company. The firm had its own wharf in Maryborough and more partners joined the firm. The foundry started building river dredges, barges and ships. In 1884 it changed its name from the Union Foundry to Walker and Co. Ltd. This company survived until amalgamated with another company in 1981. Ten aces was purchased on the Mary River to construct the ships. Ship building was developed in three periods. The first period from 1877 to 1898 saw 13 ships built; then from 1918 to 1928 a further 3 were built; and from 1939 to 1974 some 59 vessels were built. The ship yards closed in 1974 but the Walker engineer works continued. Walkers specialised in ships for the Australian navy building frigates (three built) and corvettes (seven built) and minesweepers during World War Two. During the 1960s and 1970s Walker built ten naval patrol boats and eight army landing boats. From 1900 Walkers also built steam engines for the Queensland railway system. They got their first government contract to engineer a steam engine in 1897. From then until 1958 they produced 449 steam engines mainly for the Queensland railways but also for other state railways.
Maryborough buildings and structures not in wharf of Kent Streets.
1. The cemetery was established in 1873. It is noted for its fine mortuary built in 1883 by the architect Willoughby Powell. The section near the northern end was reserved for paupers, Kanakas and non-Christians. Located in Walker Street.
2. The old railway station now not used. It was built in 1878 in timber with a station master’s residence next to it. Lennox St. Look for the World War Two air raid shelter to the south of the old railway station.
3. Opposite the railway station is the Anglican Church. The first two Anglian churches were timber and replaced by this magnificent towered brick church in 1879. The QLD Colonial Architect Francis Stanley designed the church as a private commission. The impressive parish hall was designed by architect P Hawkes in 1921 and faces Adelaide St. That first Anglican Church was erected for £30 in 1852. It was part of the Diocese of Newcastle at that stage. The free standing bell tower was added in 1887. It is heritage listed.
4. Fred Monsour’s silk warehouse. Another fine building with lots of Art Deco features. Built in 1923. Located at 203 Adelaide St. His cousin’s warehouse store is almost next door. Dated 1908 and marked Joseph Monsour. Monsours came to QLD from Beirut Syria ( at that time) in the 1890s.Fred and Joseph were naturalised in 1921. By the 1920s they had gift stores with jewellery, clocks, handbags, frocks, ladies slippers etc. Fred died in 1950 born 1886.
5. Stellmachs. 209 Adelaide Street is a well-detailed classic revival building erected in 1914 to the design of the prominent Maryborough architect F. H. Faircloth. Constructed for Stellmach's, who were bakers.
6. Kings café next door to Stellmachs at 211 Adelaide St. A superb Art Deco building. King’s Cafe was constructed in 1914 for King Bros, who were connected with the fish and oyster trade. King Bros was formed by Mat King. King’s business was so brisk that the earlier building could not cope, hence the remodelling of it in an art deco design in 1938. King’s cafe operated until 1972.
7. Former Commonwealth bank in neo classical style. At 232 Adelaide St. Note the Ionic columns with volutes.
8. Baddow House. At 366 Queen Street. Quite visible from the road. A grand Georgian Queenslander style house. Built for shopkeeper and merchant F Kinne who had a major store in Kent Street. The house was designed by architect Willoughby Powell. Built in 1883. It overlooks the Mary River.
8. Watson House. At 25 Churchill St on the corner with John St. A Queenslander with a difference. This house was constructed around 1910 to 1912 for Maryborough dental surgeon Harry Watson and his wife Olive. The octagonal-shaped room and turret was added at a later date.
9. Oonooraba House. At 50 Pallas St. The house was built in 1892 with extensive decorative wood work. It has a garden with some significant trees. It was built for local dignitary James Stafford. The name of the house is a local Aboriginal word. The property covered 6 acres. He planted the Araucaria trees (Norfolk Island pines.)
10. Eskdale House. At 53 Pallas St. The main two storey colonial house was built in 1864. A large water tank was built at that same time. Part of the garden was re-landscaped in 1915 with a glasshouse etc. It is heritage listed with an encircling veranda, French doors to the veranda and cast iron lacework.