Golden Grove. Golden Grove House former home of Captain Adam Robertson founder of the village. The house dates from 1846. This bay window from around 1875. Note the fien stone air vents in the gables.
This village sits adjacent to Greenwith Farm and the founder was Captain Adam Robertson who arrived in SA on the ship called the Golden Grove in 1839. Robertson took up his land here in 1846 along Crouch Road and named the school the Golden Grove School and hence the name was applied to the district. The first school in the area opened in 1850 attended by local Congregational ministers. But a new school room opened in 1853 on an acre of land donated by Captain Robertson. Those attending the opening in 1853 included the Gawler architect Daniel Garlick. Perhaps he designed the school for the local community. The school was added to and became a state school and operated into the 1960s. A few years later Daniel Garlick designed the delightful sandstone Presbyterian Church across the road from the school house. The Presbyterian Church of Golden Grove opened in 1866. The cemetery across the road had its first internment in 1865 the year in which the foundation stone of the Presbyterian Church was laid.
Robertson house and farm which was known as Golden Grove House with a drive from Crouch Road was started in 1846 but added to later to make it a substantial two storey house with a bay window on the eastside in the Italianate style to the early small residence of Adam Robertson. The newer house facing Slate Creek was in conventional Australian colonial style with veranda and lace iron work. This house appears to date from around 1875 and it remained in the Robertson family until it was sold in 1930 for sand quarries. Captain Robertson (1806-1864) is buried in a fine tomb in the Golden Grove cemetery. He died in 1864 but his son John was leasing or selling some of the farm by the end of 1853 and clearly in charge of the property. Like his neighbour Captain Thomas Roberts of Greenwith, Captain Robertson also owned land at Rhynie and in Clare in the Mid North. Golden Grove land became used for sand quarries from the 1930s onwards but the grand house remained occupied until the 1990s. It became vacant when purchased for a new suburban subdivision but there are plans to restore the house and its outbuildings which now face across Slate Creek to the new Woolworths Shopping Centre which opened in July 2015.
By the 1970s the sand quarries around Golden Grove were owned and operated by Monier Besser, Boral industries or Hallett Bricks. Housing estates started to be developed from 1973 and they have now subsumed all the former agricultural land. All that remains these days of old Golden Grove is the Presbyterian Church ( now Uniting), the cemetery, the old School room ( now the Equestrian Centre), the old Institute(1912) on Yatala Vale Road ( now a theatre), and the Golden Grove store from the 1920s. Nearby is the fine stone bridge in Snake Gully which crosses the Little Para on the road to one Tree Hill. It was opened in 1874 with the foundation stone being laid by Miss McEwin of Inglewood (the jam manufacturers.) A daughter of the Highercombe Council Chairman Miss Gaylard opened the bridge which linked Golden Grove with One Tree Hill and the Old Spot. This particular spot was a favoured camping site for the Kaurna Aboriginal people.