Bowral. The former Courthouse. Built in Federation style 1896.
Bowral.Explorer John Oxley was given a 2,300-acre free land grant here in 1823. Oxley did not live here but his son did extending the property to 5,000 acres. In 1857 Oxley’s sons built Wingecarribee House in Bowral one of the great mansions of the district. In 1858 John Oxley Junior subdivided 200 acres for a town along the proposed railway route. Thus began Bowral. In the early 1860s it consisted of an Anglican school and a couple of inns. Growth came from 1865 onwards. The town boomed in the 1870s with an Edmund Blacket Anglican Church completed in 1874 but replaced in 1887, a School of Arts 1884, an Anglican Rectory 1880, Wesleyan Church 1881 and a number of great summer houses for the wealthy such as Retford Park, Milton Park etc. By the 1880s Bowral was a tourist resort. Its most famous resident was Sir Donald Bradman and a museum dedicated to him in sited in Glebe Park which was originally the Anglican Church glebe lands. In 1911 the town established Corbett Park the home of the annual tulip festival in spring. Most historic buildings are located near Corbett Park including the Courthouse, Town Hall 1889, Presbyterian Church, School of Arts, Anglican Rectory and church etc.