Warrnambool.View over Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village and lake. Retail stores and red pillar letterbox.
With 33,000 residents Warrnambool is the major regional city located on the Hopkins River with a major port. The larger district has a further 85,000 residents. The town was surveyed and proclaimed in 1847 soon becoming a municipality in 1855. The rich volcanic soils around the town encouraged dairying and potato growing. Unlike other areas of the Western Districts there were no stories or reports of conflict with the local Aboriginals. The town slowly grew and boomed. Fletcher Jones textile factory was located here but only expanded after World War Two as it had a contract to provide army uniforms during the war. The city centre is dominated by the Catholic and the Presbyterian churches reflecting the dominant 19th century settler groups. The city has many fine old buldings and it has the Maritime Village at Flagstaff Hill.