new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
A Walk In The Country - View From Lehaunstown Road | by infomatique
Back to photostream

A Walk In The Country - View From Lehaunstown Road

Some Local History:

 

The Lehaunstown military camp was established in 1794 in response to an unsettled political climate and a fear of a Napoleonic invasion. It was formed as part of a comprehensive military strategy designed to repel a seaward invasion. It held from 2,000 to 4,000 men and was close to Killiney beach, identified as the most likely landing spot for such an invasion. A series of military roads was then constructed to the beach, where at least two forts were built, one of which still survives at Rathsallagh, Shankill. A portion of the military road to this fort survives in a housing estate (Shanganagh Cliffs) as a linear tree-covered earthwork with low banks. A second road, Military Rd., led to a similar fort further north, where the remains of a stone wall in the cliff face may mark its location. A third military road still leads to the site via the Druids' Glen.

 

The camp became the focus of society in the area and had a weekly fair and weekend balls. The soldiers were housed in canvas tents but after six months these began to be replaced with wooden huts, each with a stove. John Ferrars, who drew the camp in 1796, described the 'tents of canvas, wooden taverns, wooden huts and buildings of brick'. He tells of 125 houses in total, with five main lines spread along two 'hilly ridges'. The first ridge lies within the development site, with the second ridge, identified as Drum-gun Hill (at Tully church), outside the site to the west. The depiction shows two uniform lines of tents/huts with Tully church to the west, the Shanganagh River to the east and the village of Loughlinstown to the south-east.

 

802 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on September 1, 2011