new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
GLASNEVIN CEMETERY | by infomatique
Back to photostream

GLASNEVIN CEMETERY

The Irish are a proud nation and we are justifiably proud of those who have gone before us, many of whom have fought hard for the country in which we live today. Others have brought fame to Ireland through their literary work or for their political prowess. Within the walls of this cemetery, these figures lie side by side-the ideal as set down by the founder of the cemetery, Daniel O’Connell, whose desire was to see people of all denominations and creeds buried together.

 

GLASNEVIN:

 

Now a modern suburb of Dublin, it is hard to believe that the saint Mobhi is believed to have established a seat of learning in Glasnevin, on the banks of the River Tolka, as far back as the sixth century, and that both Saint Columba and Saint Canice were reputed to have studied under him. After the Norman invasion in the twelfth century, the church and lands of Glasnevin became the property of the Prior of the Holy Trinity (Christchurch). However, by the 18th century, Glasnevin’s saintly status had obviously diminished somewhat, and in 1725, the Protestant Archbishop of Dublin stated that when any couple had a mind to be wicked, they would retire to Glasnevin.

2,557 views
2 faves
10 comments
Taken on March 24, 2007