OUTSIDE THE ULSTER HALL IN BELFAST
The Ulster Hall is a Victorian music hall designed by local architect William Barre and opened in 1862. It contains the world-famous Mulholland Grand Organ, which was donated to the city by local linen baron and former Lord Mayor Andrew Mulholland.
In its first 50 years the Hall hosted Charles Dickens, Ellen Terry, Lord Randolph Churchill and many other significant performers. Throughout the Second World War it was extensively used as a dance hall for American troops billeted in Belfast. Since then the Ulster Hall has hosted major boxing champions, thousands of music concerts from classical to punk and dance, a huge variety of important events and performances including dances, lectures, readings and a rich tradition of dramatic performances in the Group Theatre. The building is currently home to the Ulster Orchestra, which rehearses and performs regularly in the Grand Hall.