Lorain-Carnegie Bridge, Cleveland, Ohio
Bridgepixing one of the "Guardians of Traffic" on the Hope Memorial Bridge. Additional Bridge Photos and a Bridge Blog at www.Bridgepix.com.
The Hope Memorial Bridge (formerly the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge) is a 5,865 foot (1,787 meter) long art deco truss bridge crossing the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland, Ohio. It stands 93 feet (28 meters) above the waterline in order to allow shipping to pass. The bridge connects Lorain Avenue on Cleveland's west side and Carnegie Avenue on the east side, terminating just short of Jacobs Field. Statues designed by sculptor Henry Hering and architect Frank Walker titled the "Guardians of Traffic" stand on pylons, a pair at each end of the viaduct, symbolizing progress in transportation.
A bond issue to pay for the bridge was passed in 1921, but construction was delayed for years due to squabbles over how the money would be spent. The bridge was completed in 1932 at a cost of $4.75 million. It was heavily renovated in the 1980s and renamed in honor of William Henry Hope, a local stonemason and father of Bob Hope. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on October 8, 1976.(Wikipedia)