The Capitol Cinema, Radford, Nottingham, January 2009
The Capitol, a former 'Art Deco' style cinema is still to be found on Churchfield Lane, at the junction of Newquay Avenue and Alfreton Road in Radford, West Nottingham. Designed by Nottingham architect Reginald W.G. Cooper (his third cinema design project), The Capitol was a 1,122 seater cinema built for the Levin brothers 'Invincible Cinemas' Circuit.
The Capitol opened as a cinema on 24th October 1936 with Arthur Tracy in "Limelight" and George Bancroft in "Hell Ship Morgan". Designed in a modern Art Deco style, the exterior has a protruding round feature over the entrance which has a slim square tower feature attached. The name Carlton was place vertically on the tower. Inside the auditorium, the seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. There were decorative horizontal bands in the side-walls by the proscenium and these were broken by three sets of verical bands. The proscenium opening was rather narrow, which in later years made the screening of Cinemascope films a problem. Concealed lighting was in troughs in the ceiling.
The Capitol Cinema led an uneventful life and was closed on 8th June 1968 with Suzie Kendall in "Up the Junction" and Edd Byrnes in "Beach Ball". It was converted into an independently operated bingo club and received a redecoration in 1988. It continued as the Carlton Bingo Club until 2004. From 2004 it was converted into the Mt. Zion Millenium City Church.
Looking from above, the tower is of a deliberately skewed construction, so is faces more towards the main A610 Afreton Road, rather than directly into Churchfield Lane, take a look at this: maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=Churchfield+Lane+notti...
The Capitol Cinema is designated a Grade II Listed building.