This fortresss a residence of a governor of Bukhara Emir - Gissar Bek in 14th century. In the early 19th century the town had some 15,000 inhabitants and maintained trade contacts with Afghanistan, China, Arabia and India. Inside the fortress used to be a pool and a garden, market and shops. In 1924 the fortress was occupied by basmachi (local bands of freedom fighters) until the Soviet Red Army destroyed it completely. The fortress gate and towers were restored in 1982 and 2001.