Crimean War Memorial, St. Helen's Churchyard, Boultham, Lincoln
An unusual war memorial can be found in St. Helen's churchyard at Boultham. This very large block of granite came from the walls of Sevastopol with an inscription to the men of Colonel Ellison’s Regiment. If one looks carefully at it there is a round depression with small cracks radiating out from it, this is typical of a strike by a shell.
A photograph of St Helen's church can be seen here
Note: Colonel Sir Richard Ellison lived at Boultham Hall, the extensive grounds to which adjoined the churchyard, hence the connection. He died in 1909. The property was bought by the city council in 1929, the Hall was demolished around 60 years ago and the ground are now one of the city's public parks.