new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
The Works | by Wandering Ro
Back to photostream

The Works

This is part of what used to turn the light.

Now the light just flashes instead.

The lantern optic was a 920mm focal radius apparatus with a range of 26 nautical miles. Operated on kerosene and turned by a

clockwork mechanism driven by chain and weights, the unit weighed several tonnes and floated in a sealed bath of mercury. Cape Everard Light station officially opened on 15 May 1890.

www.pointhicks.com.au/

249 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on January 2, 2006