new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Fulwood Methodist Church, Rear View From Car Park | by Dugswell2
Back to photostream

Fulwood Methodist Church, Rear View From Car Park

Fulwood Methodist Church is nearly 100 years old, built on land at the corner of Watling Street Road and Garstang Road purchased for the sum of £855. 51s 11d. The stone laying ceremony took place on 29th July 1911 and the church was opened and dedicated on 26th September 1912 by Rev F. L Wiseman, the President of the Methodist Conference. The total estimated cost of the entire project was £5,500, a tidy sum a century ago. The original debt of £2,500.00 was cleared in 1926 and the building of the Sunday School began on 5th May 1928, at an estimated cost of £3,500. It is this building, at the heart of Fulwood, that has now been re-developed.

The church has served the community in many ways down the years. During the First World War the congregation was swelled by soldiers from Fulwood Barracks and in the Second World War mothers and children from London and Manchester were evacuated to Fulwood and came to the church. The premises were used as a day school and later on a Library was established there by Lancashire County Council. During the 1940's the Guide and Scout groups were set up. Activities for young people have always been important including Youth and Fellowship Clubs and in the sixties a Mums & Toddlers' Group began, which still thrives today, meeting every Friday morning.

1,391 views
2 faves
1 comment
Taken on July 28, 2013