new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Yates Preston | by Dugswell2
Back to photostream

Yates Preston

To the east side of Turks Head Yard we see the premises of what is now known as Yates’s Wine Bar, but up to 1854 this establishment was known as the Grey Horse Tavern who’s licensee was Mary Addison and it was one of only two public houses in Preston which had a thatched roof at that time, the other being the Virgins’ Inn situated in Anchor Weind. It was in that year that Mary purchased this business and from then it was known as Addison’s Wine Lodge, as can be seen in the 1899 uppermost image. The premises remained much the same until 1922 when it had a complete rebuild with a facade looking very much the same as it does in 2012.

134 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on May 30, 2021