Panayia tou Araka
church located high in the east Troodos mountains, built probably in the mid 12th century as a private chapel on the estate of the district overlord. According to an inscription over the north door it was decorated in 1192 by his son Leontios and contains outstanding series of frescoes of the mid-Byzantine period. Brilliant author of these paintings could have been Theodoros Apseudes, who worked in the Encleistra of St.Neophytos. But how came such first-class artist to be decorating a humble church in such a remote spot at such a time (uprising against the Templar Knights and the consequent massacre) is not known.