Salisbury Cathedral, West Front IMG_6537
St Cosmas, sculptor James Redfern 1868. His brother, St Damian is on the right. Cosmas holds a medicine box and Damian a pestle and mortar, signifying their status as the patrons of physicians and surgeons. Their most miraculous intervention being to graft the leg from a recently deceased person to replace the diseased leg of a patient. Salisbury Cathedral was constructed 1220 to 1258 under the auspices of Bishop Richard Poore and Elias of Dereham. Restored 1860-78 by George Gilbert Scott. Major restorations to the west front were completed in 2000, it contains ancient and modern sculpture in the traditional figurative style, the latest being the Sudanese Canon Ezra in 2010.