Mercury II Repair and Restoration
This was one of my junk store finds. It looked a bit ragged, but was functional, so I put a roll of b&w film in it and went shooting one day. Using the exposure calculator on the back, I was able to get a lot of good photos (a 36 exposure roll of 35mm film yields 65 half frames, and a couple more if you load it right). But it had some problems. When I pointed the camera down, the shutter would hang. After I first noticed this, I shot the next three exposures at various shutter openings (speed is a figure of speech with this camera), but when I got the film back, you could not tell much difference between the three. So I knew it had to be repaired.

I looked up as much info as I could, getting a set of drawings from Rick Olsen's site on the disassembly, and referring to Tomosy's second volume on camera repairs. It wasn't a particularly difficult camera to work on, but it can throw you for a loop if you're not careful. I was able to recover from them though, and got it back together and working properly. I think. As they say, the proof is in the pudding, so I'll be shooting a roll of color as soon as I get some decently bright weather. It was way too foggy this morning, so I've spent the day working up these photos to show you.

NOTE: I did some editing of the descriptions, and added notes to the photos on 3/23/12.

PF
97 photos · 5 videos · 3,311 views
1