Patsy Clark Mansion
The mansion was built for Patrick “Patsy” Clark, an Irish immigrant who made millions in the mining industry, in 1898. The famous local architect, Kirtland Cutter, was in charge of building and researching for the property. Cutter toured the United States and Europe in search of materials and builders for the endless items the home would need. He designed the home inside and out, each room as a completely different architectural style, and fortunately almost all of the original furnishings are still in the home. Only a few were damaged in a small fire on the third floor, and silk wallpaper was damaged in a small flood. The mansion is an “L” shape with the outside built of brick and Italian sandstone. The two large beautiful leaded stained glass windows are the largest ever built by Tiffany Studios in New York, and contain a peacock design with many colors throughout.
The home contains 27 rooms. These rooms include a dining room, foyer, gambling room (Chinese inspired), library (Roman themed), French Drawing room (Louis the XIV inspired), and around a dozen bedrooms. The furnishings within the home are eclectic and lavish including a 9 foot clock from London, ceiling frescoes, silk wallpaper, Spanish leather wall coverings, and a Turkish chandelier with semi-precious stones. The home is full of one-of-a-kind pieces built specifically for the Clark family. Outside there is a carriage house, which has now been turned into apartments, but once was the home to 2 heavy horses, 2 lighter horses, 2 Shetland ponies, 2 Newfoundland dogs, and 1 cow. Through the years the mansion has been used in multiple enterprises including the Francis Lester Inn, Patsy Clark’s Restaurant, and is now currently owned by a local Law Firm.