The three Flawford figures
Flawford was one of those midland villages which gradually became deserted in the early modern period after a slow medieval decline. The church became derelict as it was redundant. In 1779 these three figures were found under the floor of the chancel. They were probably hidden at the time of the reformation, in the hope that religious changes would mean that they could be reinstated. Such was not the case and they became forgotten. Their fate was not much better following their 18th century rediscovery. They were for a long time used as garden ornaments, during which time they lost the colouring which had been noted when they were first unearthed. Fortunately they are now well cared for in the Castle Museum in Nottingham.