Saranac Lake New York - Adirondack Cottage Sanitarium - Chapel
A non-denominational stone chapel designed by J. Lawrence Aspinwall and William L. Coulter for Renwick, Aspinwall and Owen; it seats 75.
The Adirondack Cottage Sanitarium was a tuberculosis sanatorium established in Saranac Lake, New York in 1885 by Dr. Edward Livingston Trudeau. After Trudeau's death in 1915, the institution's name was changed to the Trudeau Sanatorium, following changes in conventional usage. It was listed under the latter name on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995
The Institute was founded in 1884 as the Saranac Laboratory for the Study of Tuberculosis by Dr. Edward Livingston Trudeau as a tuberculosis treatment and research facility. Dr. Trudeau had trained as a physician after his elder brother succumbed to tuberculosis. In 1873 Dr. Trudeau himself was diagnosed with tuberculosis. Following the conventional thinking of the time, his physicians and friends urged a change of climate. He went to live in the Adirondack Mountains, initially at Paul Smith's Hotel, spending as much time as possible outdoors, and subsequently regained his health. In 1876, he moved to Saranac Lake and established a medical practice.
In 1882, Dr. Trudeau read about German physician Hermann Brehmer's success treating tuberculosis with a systematic rest cure in cold, clear mountain air. Following this example, Dr. Trudeau founded the Adirondack Cottage Sanitarium for the treatment of tuberculosis with the support of several wealthy businessmen.
In 1894, after a fire destroyed his small laboratory, Dr. Trudeau built the Saranac Laboratory for the Study of Tuberculosis, the first laboratory in the United States dedicated to the study of tuberculosis. He subsequently dedicated his life to pursuing a cure for tuberculosis and was elected the first president of the National Association for the Study and Prevention of Tuberculosis, the predecessor of the American Lung Association. He died in 1915 at age 67.