Charleston: Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon -
The Gentleman Pirate Stede Bonnet, a wealthy Barbadian landowner turned pirate, was the captain of the Revenge, and later, under the alias of Captain Thomas, the renamed Royal James from 1717 to 1718. Bonnet was captured along with 29 of his men by Colonel William Rhett at the Battle of Cape Fear River in North Carolina in August, 1718. He eventually escaped but was recaptured on Sullivan's Island shortly thereafter. During both imprisonments, Bonnet was kept here in this dungeon.
The Exchange and Provost, located at 122 East Bay, was built in 1767 as a mercantile exchange and Custom House. The Georgian-style building, designed by William Rigby Naylor, was badly damaged by Union artillery fire during the Civil War, and again after the great earthquake of 1886, but repaired on both occasions.
In 1774, South Carolina elected delegates to the First Continental Congress in the Exchange’s Great Hall. Seized by the British, it was used as a military prison during the Revolutionary War, where Isaac Hayne, an American executed for treason by the British, spent his last night. In 1788, the State Legislature met here to ratify the new State Constitution. In 1791, President George Washington addressed the citizens of Charlestown from the building’s west elevation, and attended a ball and concert inside. In 1815, the Post Office moved into the Exchange Building. In 1873, the building became City Hall and was bought by the Rebecca Motte Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1912.