Miami Beach - South Beach: Wolfsonian-FIU
The Wolfsonian Building, at 1001 Washington Avenue, was built in 1927 by Robert and Patterson. The 3-story, Spanish Baroque style structure originally served as a storage facility for Miami Beach's winter residents. In 1936, architect R.M. Little added a plainer, two-story addition. By 1987, philanthropist and collector Mitchell Wolfson Jr., owner of the world's largest private collection of decorative and propaganda arts, began storing his collection here. By 1993, architects Hampton & Kearns retrofitted and expanded the building an additional two stories and one bay to the east, converting it into the Wolfsonian Museum of Decorative and Propaganda Arts. Opened to the public in 1995, the Wolfsonian collections comprise approximately 120,000 objects from the period of 1885 to 1945—the height of the Industrial Revolution to the end of the Second World War—in a variety of media including furniture; industrial-design objects; works in glass, ceramics, and metal; rare books; periodicals; ephemera; works on paper; paintings; textiles; and medals.
The Miami Beach Architectural District, also known as Old Miami Beach Historic District, or the more common, Miami Beach Art Deco District, is roughly bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, Alton Road and Collins Canal/Dade Boulevard and 5th Street. With 960 vibrantly colored historic buildings, it contains the largest concentration of 1920s and 1930s resort architecture in the United States.
Miami Beach Architectural District #79000667 (1979)