NYC - Central Park: The Pond
The southeast corner of Central Park was from its inception, and remains today, the most heavily used Park entrance. Half of all Park visitors enter by way of Grand Army Plaza. In the 19th century it was the first destination of a carriage ride north from the growing city to the Park. Olmsted and Vaux, who designed Central Park in 1858, intended the Pond landscape to welcome visitors and offer an instant haven from the city. The comma-shaped serpentine Pond is situated below street level, which has the effect of muting the urban cacophony and creating a surprising calm.
Central Park was designated a scenic landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1974.
Central Park National Register #66000538