sheffield victoria quays_MG_0742
Sheffield Canal Basin, now known as Victoria Quays, is at the head of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal, close to Sheffield City Centre. The basin dates from 1814, when the canal opened to connect with the River Don Navigation. This allowed canal boats to reach the heart of Sheffield for the first time.
The whole area received a new lease of life in the 1990s. Warehouses were restored, derelict railway arches converted and a marina created on one side of the basin. Victoria Quays has attracted a cluster of hotels - including houseboats, specialist shops, and restaurants and provides a great starting point for one of the city’s many walks or a relaxing boat trip.